The best known of all the halls in Wigan, Haigh Hall was the home of the Bradshaigh family, and is connected to the famous tale of Lady Mabel Bradshaigh.
Winstanley Hall owned by the Bankes family, wealthy mine owners of the area.
Winstanley Hall is situated in parkland off Pemberton Road and although still standing is in a very bad state of repair and is currently used as a training area by Greater Manchester Police.
Ince Hall stood on the main Manchester Road to Bolton and unfortunately is no longer standing. It was the setting for the story of the Wicked Lawyer.
Standish Hall was the ancestral home of the lords of the manor of Standish.
The hall was apparently moated until about 1780 when the demesne was laid out as a landscape park in the "Capability Brown" style.This picture was taken around 1910.
When the estate was auctioned at Empress Hall Wigan in March 1921, the hall was withdrawn at £4,800. Subsequently it was reported that the tudor wing and chapel were dismantled and shipped to America; recent efforts to locate their whereabouts have proved fruitless. The remainder was adapted to form two smaller houses, these in turn, were knocked down in the early 1980s.
Crooke Hall around 1900. It was built in 1608 for Peter Caterall and his wife Elizabeth. The house overlooked the River Douglas and later, the canal.
Subsidence and consequent flooding led to Crooke Hall's demolition in 1937.
A timber panel, carved with the initials of Peter and Elizabeth and the original carpenters, and with crude portraits of the former, is on display at the History Shop in Wigan.
Hindley Green Hall was situated near the present PPG glass fibre works in Leigh Road.
In the nineteenth century it was the home of the Diggle family.
James Diggle began his working life as a grocer in Bury and eventually came to be the owner of collieries in Westleigh.
The moated manor house of Lowe Hall Platt Bridge, was the seat of the Langton family, lords of Hindley from about 1330 to 1733.
Thirty years after this it was sold, together with the manor of Hindley, to the Duke of Bridgewater.
This photograph was taken in 1872.
Bradley Hall is probably medieval in origin with a Georgian brick facade and Gothic gables. Bradley Hall was part of a small estate owned by various families over the centuries, a coloured estate plan of 1765 shows it's extent.
During the Second World War an ammunition factory was built nearby, and after the war Heinz had a factory on the site of Hall Farm.
In recent years the house has been a nightclub and commercial offices.
Lowe Green House was occupied , in 1871, by the colliery manager James H Johnson, his wife, his sister, his ten children, a cook, a housemaid and not surprisingly, considering the number of children, a governess!!
The Hermitage near Beech Walk in Standish.
An eighteenth century house provided by the Standish family for Catholic priests serving their chapel and the local congregation.
The Hermitage became the first presbytery for St Marie's RC church when the latter wwas built in 1884. In 1908 it was replaced by the new presbytery, and was demolished in the 1970s.
Shevington (New) Hall around the 1930s.
A small Victorian country house on the site of an earlier property, this is recalled today by older residents as 'the big house' of the village in the early years of the twentieth century.
Home of local coal owner John Tayleur from about 1840 to 1876, it was later occupied by Theobold Dixon, who died in 1954 aged 97.
It stood near the present Hall Close.
Arley Hall from a postcard of the early 1900s.
Situated just beyond the Standish parish boundary in Blackrod, Arley, (like Standish and Bradley) was originally a moated medieval house.
Overlooking the Leeds-Liverpool canal at Red Rock, it has some fine Georgian Gothic features.
It is now the home of Wigan Golf Club.
Back to main page